Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I am not your rolling wheel, I am the highway.

Denver is behind me.

I will definitely miss having the mountains in view in the distance and the city at my fingertips, all at the same time. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to be in the center of all the action now, and in a matter of an hour be high in the mountains watching the elk. The Denver Art Museum, awesome Japanese restaurants, street performers, so many drunk people in the streets at 2am, 16th street mall, The Tattered Cover (awesome bookstore), Paris on the Platte with a new amazing friend, and a 100 year old house to stay in. All the things I will miss about the mile high city, and more.

As much fun as I may have had, I miss the road. New towns, new places, different people. There are always new experiences to have and interesting people to meet.

Something notable in New Mexico, after visiting friends in Rio Rancho. I preferred to drive at night due to the heat, so I departed their apartment after dark. I wasn't paying close attention to my gas gauge, and of course my gas light goes on. Being 100 miles from nowhere, I knew I had to stop at the next station I could find. I follow an exit to gas, but in the distance the station looks very dim, probably closed. I go over anyway, planning to sleep there until they open, as I don't know where the next station will be.

Amid the dim lights, old gas pumps, broken pavement and a dilapidated building, I pull in wondering if I'm going to get carjacked. The place is in the middle of nowhere of course, and is not a really welcoming sight. It turns out it is open. I pull next to a gas pump, look all around, and when I decide there are no visible threats, get out to pump gas. The card reader on the pump is not working so I'll have to go in and see if I can pay by credit in there, as that is my preferred payment method. The small station is apparently empty when I walk it, and I make some casual people noises to draw attention. In a minute or two a middle aged woman comes out. She is missing most of her teeth but is very nice. She informs me that I can pay by credit inside.

I go back out and commence pumping. I realize that the only octane that they have is 85, which is probably drinkable. I also notice that they are charging a premium price for this gasoline flavored water, about $3.50 a gallon. Since I have to put gas in I settle for $15 just to get me by. After that the woman has to swipe my card no less than 10 times to get it to work, even after my offer to give her my little bit of cash to pay for it.

I leave the building and do a complete circuit of my car before driving away, not wanting to take any chances. My car runs a bit rough and my mileage drops somewhat.

After El Paso, there is about 500 miles of absolutely nothing in the mini mountains of west Texas. Luckily I found a maniac trucker to draft who liked to haul it down the interstate at about 90 mph. I couldn't have asked for more. 90mph + very little wind resistance = great time over boring landscape and 40+ miles per gallon.

I was a happy guy when I made it to Houston and finally found good gasoline at a better price. In contrast to the NM situation, I can fill up with 91 octane for about $2.98 per gallon. I still miss when I used to pay .99 but that's why I drive a Honda.

In my travels I've left behind awesome scenery and great people. People in general from regions as well as specific people that leave you longing. I don't think I will ever have a replacement for the road as a most satisfying way of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always nice to read your blogs!! The scary gas station sounds like something right out of a horror movie! I wouldn't have even gotten out of my car, but you know me, I am a wimp! :)