Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I love getting high

In the mountains, that is.

I live in downtown Denver now, at least for the next month or so. I don't know how I thought that I would be satisfied with only a week or two in the mountains. There is so much to see and explore here. I really feel I made the right decision to drive here. I live in a great house and have a great roommate, plus I'm only a few blocks from the center of all the action in Denver.

This particular house is over 100 years old, and is completely restored on the inside. It has three bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms and ten foot ceilings on the first and second floors. It also has a 2 car garage. The small basement even has it's share of strange doors that lead to a mini crawl-tunnel under the house, and a doorway that just ends in a wall of earth. I love old houses.

My roommate is also quite awesome, although she is trying to get me to watch television, and it is working... a little. To top it all off, she loves to cook.

Walking distance from this great house is Denver's 16th Street Mall, an entire road blocked to normal traffic. You can sit and people watch all day, seeing business professionals in their suits, wandering snowboarders, hippies, and street performers.

I was feeling under utilized and I decided I should get an easy job to pass the time on the weekdays, and fix this negative cash flow that I've had going on. I hate negative cash flow.

I got a job at a local fireworks store, thinking that would be cool, but it turned out to be warehouse work for crappy pay. I thought if it was fun that I wouldn't care.

That lasted for 2 days, when I suddenly had better things to do.

I go into the mountains often, taking pictures and climbing around. I'll be spending some time in Rocky Mountain National Park soon.

Mount Evans, my first mountain to climb on, is very snowy. I thought I was all prepared to be on the mountain, but it turns out I need snowshoes for this time of year. I'm willing to bet that in the colder weather, the snow is hard enough to walk on, but in the springtime only some of it is. The snow was waist deep. I never knew which leg was going to sink in the snow, and when one did it went all the way. It was quite random and must have been very amusing to watch, if anyone did.

There is a road that leads to the top of the mountain, but it was still closed for the season to vehicles. That was fine with me. I'm all about hiking, so I hiked the road for a while, then drove around for a while in the mountains.

There was one more thing that I found when heading to Mount Evans, good enough to go back and explore, but that story is for the next post.

No comments: